Hydee-ho!

This is the blog site for the Roundtown Player's children's production.
Read, enjoy, and comment!

Friday, November 26, 2010

The importance of Theatre in a child's life

I have been active in the Central Ohio theatre community since 2004, starting with Roundtown Players. My first attempt at directing was as one of the assistant directors of RTP's 2006 production of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Now, I had acted in church plays and pageants as a child but theatre and its impact on young people didn't strike me until LWW. That was also the same show that ignited my desire to direct and discover all of the facets of theatre. Since that show, I have assisted two productions and directed six productions (all but one were children's plays). With each show I met new children and families, some brand new to theatre, some veteran actors, and some looking for a new theatre home. I started noticing, with great delight, if I had a brand new actor in one show I could bet they'd be back for the next show's auditions. They had caught the theatre bug! Hizzah! But what exactly was it that drew them in? What is it about theatre that brings the kids back each season, each year, each production? I have pondered these questions many times over. And then I was asked to sit down and actually write out my opinion of the importance and impact of theatre in a child's life. AH! A chance to organize my thoughts and figure out the answers to my own questions.
The first thing that often came to my mind is the simple fact that children enjoy being on stage. They enjoy being center stage, hot lights following their every move, the air carrying their words as they recite and emote. But that goes deeper than simple adolescent ego. I have had so many children on stage that started out quiet, reserved, shy, almost terrified of the stage. I thought they would faint during their auditions they were so timid. And yet, because I believe in giving children chances to prove themselves, I would cast them, and, through working with them and helping them discover their stage presence and voice, they became theatre monsters. Many of these children have also discovered a new level of confidence in themselves as individuals and as actors.
In addition to confidence, a lot of RTP's young actors have come back because they crave knowledge and experience. When a child steps on stage with a script in hand, they begin a special journey. They learn to develop a new character, along with discovering a new story. They also become serious about growing within themselves. Growing as an actor goes beyond learning the difference between upstage, downstage, stage left, stage right, yadayadayada. I have performed with adults who could learn a thing or two from some of the youngsters who have graced the RTP stage. These kids tackle their lines along with the direction they receive; they truly want to mature. There is depth in the souls of these true performers.
Camaraderie is another driving force behind children in theatre. A lot of my actors, current or past, have been a grand mix of homeschoolers and young folks who attend public school. Some of them have been brand new to Circleville, looking for a place to fit in or just trying to figure out where they belong. A lot of friendships have been developed in our Green Room and backstage. Some of these actors have grown up together on the RTP stage. Families bring their friends and their children's friends to RTP. When I directed Treasure Island, I had two brothers come to try out for the show, having just heard of RTP the morning of auditions. Their friend had dragged them along to audition. Although neither of them had acted before, I cast them, and I am so glad I did. Since that day, they have been in several RTP productions; some of these shows were under my direction. Now one of the brothers is in college, studying theatre.
Something that always tickles me is when I have a child or children from one family audition and perform in a show and then I see their parent(s) audition for later productions. A lot of times, when a child is involved in a show, the whole family becomes involved. Then, I see a family grow together within a new activity they can enjoy together and with other families.

Overall, theatre will always present so many important opportunities to positively impact a child's life, though these opportunities may vary depending on the young person. With each production, I am blessed to see each actor grow in some way. These days especially, young people need to be led towards more positive outlets for their talents. They need to mingle with others who will uplift them and support their abilities, young and old. For those of us “adults” in the theatre, it is our responsibility to embrace every child who enters our theatre, RTP or otherwise. We must remember to happily put the “community” in Community Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment